Strength VS Femininity!

"You don't want to get too bulky, you'll look like a man!"

I hear this all the time. If it isn't someone saying to me directly it is said by someone else about themselves. When I tell people that I am into power lifting, weight lifting, and getting strong in general people all give me a bit of side eye. They are totally ok with me losing weight and getting more and more close to the "ideal" body- which is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever said in my life- they are fine with me getting smaller and smaller, but the second I start talking about gaining muscles they freak. We are as women, conditioned to take up less space, be smaller, be "pretty" and "petite"...but why? The answer is rooted in the oppression of women as a whole.

I love the look of Sara Sigmundsdottir- #goals
When women are constantly told to look and act a certain way- whether that message comes from films or tv or magazines and ad campaigns- it all contributes to the idea that women who do not or can not conform to that ideal are some how "less than".

I actually really love this look-dark lips for the win
Women who are too loud or too aggressive are labels as bitches, women who are too sexual and flirtatious are sluts, women who lift heavy weights and are athletic are then labels as "masculine" "bulky" "mannish" or other non LGBTQ+ friendly words like "dykes". Everyone talks about how they want an Amazon queen- a fit chick- but one who still fits into their 36", 24", 36" mold. Everyone wants a "real woman"...well guess what I'm here to tell you that strength (physical strength) and femininity are NOT mutually exclusive! *Pause for gasping*

Who doesn't want to be an Amazon?
Anyone who knows me or follows my Instagram knows that I love make up, cute clothes, the color pink, my barbie hairstyle, and many other traditionally feminine things. I am a girl, I like girly things, I enjoy my feminine side- most days...there are some days where I want nothing more than jeans, a sweatshirt, and my hair in a sloppy ponytail. Those days don't make me any less of a woman. In fact, I tend to look at my own femininity in the sense of a spectrum- some days are more some are less but at the end of the day I am still me- still a woman- and yes still hella strong too!

Casual or dressed up- I am still me. Pictured here with my dear friend Bob.
My strength does nothing to cancel out how traditionally girly I am. In fact, I think it only enhances it! By adding contrast to a painting you highlight its individual parts which allows the painting to become more expressive and more interesting. By highlighting both my strength and love for physical training I get to show people a side of myself that I work very hard on. The muscles of my arms tell people about myself- how hard I work, my sense of dedication- that I'm not to be messed with. In some ways, my strength is my armor. But when I also choose to highlight my flawlessly (I hope) applied make up and my dyed hair and the new dress I just bought and my pink toe nails I think it also tells people other things about myself. And they are both me- equally. My make up I often joke is also my war paint, my hand bag and my outfit are clear status symbols- tribal identifiers of where I belong.

Dolled up in Vintage with my fellow lifter Jenny
Every work day I start by getting up out of bed- putting my hair up and putting on my gym outfit for the morning- something I love and pick out the night before. I slip on my shoes and head out the door ready to tear the gym up (most days). Feeling powerful is important to who I am as a person, as a woman. I revel in the fact that I am the only woman in the weight section of the gym in the mornings- I wish there were more. But I also DON'T discount the women there doing their own workouts in classes and on the cardio machines. They are also strong- in their own unique and individual ways.

Gaining some shoulder muscles!
After busting my ass I get to start the day- putting on my face and doing my hair and putting on some new outfit that I have packed for the day- sauntering out of the locker room looking like a model on the run way (in my own head). I get to stomp around work in my high heels and greet people in the lobby, knowing they think I look nice that day- and guess what- still strong-still valid- still me.

So I say all of these things to tell you- a strong woman is exactly what she wants to be. Muscles? Hair extensions? Long Nails? Gym shirts? It is all good. Let people be who they want to work to be.





Comments

  1. I just read all your blogs in one sitting! You're a great writer. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. I'd love to have a workout together sometime, but your 5AM schedule would be brutal for me! More power to you. Also the lifter in me is like... but what about cleans? Haha, I LOVE cleans! Therefore I want everyone to love cleans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally work in an afternoon workout sometime. I bet you would totally kick my butt (but I would be ok with that). LOL Cleans terrify me-for real. Maybe we can work on them together!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Impostor Syndrome

Confronting Symptoms- a lesson I need to learn.