Moving Bravely- an open interview with Lauren McGlamery!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
I had an amazing time getting interviewed by my strong and wonderful friend Lauren for her new coaching and inspirational movement called Moving Bravely!
"So what are your current goals?" A quick selfie before hiking Stone Mt. in GA Everyone who is into fitness asks this question. It is a great question to be sure, I mean if you don't know what your goals are how can you possibly stay motivated and stick to your plan? A lot of people ask me what my goals were/are. I thought I would give a short outline of what I have worked on, achieved, and have planned for the future. Starting out, my biggest goal was to feel better about myself and my self image. That was a physical goal as well as a mental and emotional one. I also wanted to be stronger and just be able to do the things in life I wanted to do (like hiking or biking trails, etc) without feeling drained or out of breath. Starting out I did not set a goal weight for myself- my therapist and I decided that focusing on the scale was not a healthy choice for me. I tend to get obsessed with numbers and with weighing myself- so in the beginning I only weighed in once...
"Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and wondered...is this really my body?" I did. I did that for so many years I lost count- the first time I knew I was different from other kids was elementary school. I was the chunky girl, the one with the rosy round cheeks, who would huff and puff her way around the school yard. Even to this day I'm not sure why...genetics? poor eating habits? Honestly, I don't think I will ever know. I'm the blonde kiddo with the cake in her hand! Probably the last time I wore a crop top anything! In the fourth grade my mom started having clothes made for me by a lady. I was so sad that we couldn't just buy stuff from the store like the other kids in my class (Note that this was the early 90's). Kids were cruel- it didn't matter how smart I was, or how nice I was, or how amazing I was----I was fat and because of that I was bullied for years on end. I think I was a cat for Halloween-but in a jack...
"You don't want to get too bulky, you'll look like a man!" I hear this all the time. If it isn't someone saying to me directly it is said by someone else about themselves. When I tell people that I am into power lifting, weight lifting, and getting strong in general people all give me a bit of side eye. They are totally ok with me losing weight and getting more and more close to the "ideal" body- which is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever said in my life- they are fine with me getting smaller and smaller, but the second I start talking about gaining muscles they freak. We are as women, conditioned to take up less space, be smaller, be "pretty" and "petite"...but why? The answer is rooted in the oppression of women as a whole. I love the look of Sara Sigmundsdottir- #goals When women are constantly told to look and act a certain way- whether that message comes from films or tv or magazines and ad campaigns- it al...
Comments
Post a Comment